Sunday, August 05, 2007

Fog? What Fog?

We have been having pretty thick fogs for the last several days in the morning. Make that pea soup fogs. So I decided to rise early this morning, 5 o'clock, and see if I could find a spot in the nearby hills above the fog and see what that looked like.

I set out over the San Juan Grade Road that goes up to about 1300 feet. No luck. Total white-out at the top. That left me with Fremont Peak which is about 3500 high. Off I went.

I crossed the Gabilan Mountains on the Grade to near San Juan Bautista. There I picked up the winding road that ascends Fremont Peak. It is about an 11 mile switchback. At about 3000 feet I broke out of the fog.

I stopped and took this "self-portrait."


This was the view looking back down the mountain.



























Santa Cruz Mountains from Fremont Peak.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, a great drive this morning!

Ptelea said...

Just beautiful - this reminds me of my visit out to San Jose and the pre-dawn drive that my brother took me on to find a good spot for sunrise.

Copyright Notice

All images on this site are copyrighted. It is expected that copyright will be respected. Please do not copy or otherwise use these images without permission of the copyright owner, John A. Wilson.