Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Lightroom, Culling, JPEGs, TIFFS and all that Sort of Thing


All my early shooting was in JPEG. I knew that was something I would have to do something about eventually. Well, eventually is now. Choosing from 8k or so JPEGs and saving the survivors as TIFFs.

In culling I came across a lot of pictures that did not look all that good, including this one. (It is best seen in large size.) The hills were black and the sky colorless. so I fired up Lightroom.

First I darkened the exposure to bring some color to the sky. Then I used fill light to bring up the hills. There was a red of the setting sun in the cliffs there I did not even know was in the image. I upped the black pixels for some contrast, and this is what I got.

In Photoshop this would have been major surgery. In Lightroom it was done all on one screen in 3 or 4 minutes. A remarkable tool that I highly recommend.

For larger image click on picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John, I'm curious as to why you have chosen to move from JPG to TIFF, or Raw for that matter.

As for Lightroom, I think that I'll wait a few versions before checking it out. Also, I'm pretty comfortable with CS2 and am not even considering CS3. Heck, CS2 is pretty slow on my computer because I have ONLY 1 GB of memory, which is the max for my computer. I had considered buying another computer, but didn't want to move all of my stuff over! Sigh ...

Copyright Notice

All images on this site are copyrighted. It is expected that copyright will be respected. Please do not copy or otherwise use these images without permission of the copyright owner, John A. Wilson.